One of the most horrific diseases known to mankind is cancer. Cancer kills more than 20,000 people per day, and more than 12 million will find out they have cancer this week. There aren’t many people who haven’t been affected either by a friend or family member having cancer, or have struggled with cancer themselves. The fight against cancer is a long one, but science is working hard at finding cures.
Related: What is CBD Oil
In this article, you will learn what cancer is, how CBD Oil and THC are used to help treat cancer and which is more effective. However, this is strictly informational and should not be used without the consultation of a doctor.
What is Cancer?
Cancer is a disease that is characterized the growth of cells that are out of control. These out of control cells divide uncontrollably to form lumps or masses that we call tumors. Tumors that are not cancerous only grow to a limited amount and stay in one spot; they are benign. Cancerous tumors grow and interfere with multiple areas of the body including the digestive, circulatory, and nervous system.. Cancer wreaks havoc in the following ways:
- It moves throughout the body using our blood or lymphatic system.
- It destroys healthy tissue.
- It divides and grows.
- It makes new blood vessels to feed itself.
- It interferes in other parts of the body.
- Effects hormones.
As tumors spread to other parts of the body, they begin destroying healthy tissues, they say the tumor has metastasized. Once a tumor has metastasized, it can become difficult to treat.
What Causes Cancer?
There are many things that can cause cancer, and doctors are not always entirely sure why a cancer has happened. Ultimately, cancer is caused when cells grow and do not go through the programmed lifespan: growth, division, death. This programmed cell death is called apoptosis, but when this cycle is broken, cancer begins to form. Cancer cells do not go through apoptosis. Instead, cancer grows and divides out of control. There are several factors that contribute to abnormal cell growth and division which include:
- DNA: Cells can grow uncontrollably if there are mutations to the DNA. There are 4 types of genes that are responsible for the cell division process. They tell cells to divide, when not to divide, and when to commit suicide or repair. However, when something goes wrong, the DNA-repair or destruct genes do not tell the cell what to do. This leads the cell unable to correct the DNA damage or kill itself. Cancer inhibits the gene function and allows the cell through DNA mutation to grow uncontrollably.
- Carcinogens: Carcinogens are substances found in food or other items that are directly responsible for damaging DNA. This directly aids and promotes cancer. Carcinogens include: tobacco, asbestos, arsenic radiation such as gamma and x-rays, the sun, car exhaust fumes, and other radicals. When these enter our bodies, they damage cells and prevent them from functioning normally.
- Family Genes: Cancer can also be predisposed from inherited family members. This is because genes are passed from one family member to another. So, if mutated genes are passed from one family member to another, it can develop cancer later in life.
Cannabis and Cancer
Cannabis has been known to help cancer for thousands of years. Chemicals in Cannabis and Cannabinoids are known to activate receptors in the body to produce effects that help cancer in the central nervous system as well as the immune system. In fact, commercially available cannabinoids such as medical marijuana and CBD oil have been approved drugs for the treatment of cancer side effects. Marijuana has been used for thousands of years to aid in cancer symptoms. Scientist have found that biological components in marijuana aid in herbal remedies. The two most studied components are cannabinoids: THC and CBD.
Related: CBD Versus THC
How Does THC Help Cancer?
According to the American Cancer society, THC has been found to help patients with cancer in many different ways. Here are some way THC helps cancer:
- THC is helpful in treating nausea and vomiting associated with Chemotherapy.
- Smoked marijuana has been known to help with food intake during treatment.
- Patients who took marijuana in studies, tended to need less pain medications.
- THC is said to help reduce pain in cancer patients.
Although THC is known to help with pain and nausea of patients who have cancer, further research still needs to be done. In fact, the American Cancer Society has taken a stand on the legalization of marijuana for medical purposes in cancer.
How Does CBD Help Cancer?
Although the use of THC is not legal in all states, the use of CBD oil is legal in all, but 4 states. See, Which States is it Legal in to Buy CBD oil. Therefore, it has become more widely studied for effects and treatment of cancer. Some studies have suggested that CBD Oil prevents cancer cell growth!
However, it is still best to discuss all treatment options with a healthcare professional. CBD Oil can help with cancer in the following ways:
- Decreases the growth of cancer cells.
- Moderates inflammation.
- Changes how cells reproduce
- Reduces the ability of some cells to reproduce.
- Helps reduce pain
- Helps reduce anxiety
- Helps reduce nausea and vomitting.
Which is More Effective, CBD or THC?
When it comes to determining whether CBD Oil or THC is best for helping with cancer, it is important to talk to a doctor. It is also important to check to see if THC or CBD is legal for medical treatment in your state.
However, the fact that research has has suggested that CBD oil can help to decrease the growth of cancer cells and reduce the ability for cells to reproduce, it would be an assumptiont to believe CBD oil is better equipped at helping cancer. Not only does it decrease cell reproduction, but it aids in pain management. CBD oil is also legal in all, but 4 states making it easier to use for cancer treatment.
According to the American Cancer Society, Cancer is the 2nd most common cause of death and results in ¼ deaths. World wide, there are over 14 million new cancer related deaths each year. However, we can start combating cancer with the help of new research, proper diet, and CBD oil.